In the nice village of Malcesine, located on the eastern shore of Lake Garda in the Province of Verona, almost accidentally I found this charming restaurant overlooking a magnificent view of the lake (unfortunately the weather was not so magnificent!)
Restaurant Vecchia Malcesine, brilliantly managed by Chef Leandro Luppi (very nice person), awarded 1 Michelin Star, proposes a quite sophisticated cuisine with an interesting mixture of both “lake products” and totally distant regional ingredients. You might have the chance to taste in the same manu snails ravioli and burrata, fried “lavarello” fish and “cime di rapa e peperoncino” (turnip greens and chilli).
I opted for the menu “I Classici” that embeds all the traditional dishes of Chef Leandro. It consisted of:
- Seppie…in pomodoro (Cuttlefish …in tomato)
- Ravioli di lumache e gamberi e finocchio (Snails Ravioli and shrimps and fennel)
- Cime di Rapa aglio olio e peperoncino burrata e triglie (Turnip greens, garlic, olive oil and chilli, burrata and mullet fish)
- Vitello del Baldo al latte di bufala affumicato e caramello di Amarone (Veal from Mount Baldo with smoked buffalo milk and Amarone caramel)
- Zuppa di cioccolato bianco con spuma di caffè e frutto della passione (White Chocolate soup with coffee mousse and passion fruit)
Overall the food had a very delicate taste even if, in some case, quite strange for my habits (snail ravioli above all … if you are not used to them they can be challenging to digest…but in the end also the peppers have the same effect but they are good indeed!).